When, where, why and the skinny on some ingredients and products
There are a of couple questions I get asked over and over again about anti-aging. The subject of wrinkles is stressful enough to give the average person anxiety. The extent some people go to look younger can be downright scary. Besides that, trying out the latest Anti-aging fad can cost you an arm and a leg. Sound familiar?
Here’s what you want to know:
Question: “When do I start using anti-aging products?”
Answer: Like, yesterday.
It’s about “anti” aging. The goal is to not lose the elasticity and collagen in your skin. It’s easier to prevent lines from settling in then it is to take them away once they appear. With that said, it doesn’t mean you can’t reverse things a little if you already are experiencing signs of maturing skin. You can also improve texture and tone which will make a huge difference on the quality of your skin.
Ingredients like Vitamin C and antioxidants will help fight off effects from the environment and over exposure to the sun.
Essential oils can help tone, balance and improve texture of the skin and also reverse fine lines that have set in.
Exfoliants remove dead skin cells and allow new ones to grow.
If you’re over 18, you’re old enough to start using anti-aging products.
Question: “How do I use them?”
Answer: Anti-aging products can be delivered in cleansers, serums and moisturizers.
- For cleansers, don’t use them more than once a day.
- If you’re using a Serum, apply it before moisturizer.
- If you’re anti-ager comes in the form of a moisturizer, this is the last thing you would apply before sunscreen.
Question: “How often do I use them?”
Answer: Twice a day- If your using a serum or moisturizer. Apply in the morning and at night before you go to bed.
- Use the same product for both day and night
- OR, if you want to get the benefit of different antioxidants in different formulas then you can use one product during the day and a different product at night. BUT!, beware of super-active ingredients like glycolic acid, retionol and Alpha Hydroxy Acids. These are great ingredients but they don’t always mix and too much of a good thing is not always a good thing.
Question: “What’s different about Birdy Botanicals anti-aging products compared to other brands?”
Answer: My goal with anti-aging was to deliver important ingredients that improve your skin’s texture and tone while reducing fine lines in the process. I combined serious antioxidants and essential oils into products that can be used by all skin types, including sensitive skin. Just because it’s a serious product doesn’t mean it has to hurt.
I’ve included one of my favorite ingredients, DMAE.
- DMAE helps improve skin elasticity.
- Reduces fine lines and sagging for the day to give a more chiseled appearance.
- Most importantly, I think of DMAE as botox in a bottle. Because it reduces lines and sagging for the day you are keeping those wrinkles from forming and not allowing them to settle in. It’s a super gentle ingredient with a major “Wow” factor. With continued use you can help stop wrinkles in their tracks!
- It’s an ingredient you can afford.
In my business wrinkles scare the bejesus out of me. The condition of my skin is the first thing people judge about me considering I have a skin care line. But, I don’t want to look like Joan Rivers when I get to her age either. I think we need a little happy medium and perspective. Unless your willing to deal with syringes and/or go under the knife you can get a lot of mileage and real, true beauty by taking care of yourself and using some really great products.
Spinach may not give us biceps like Popeye but it can definitely make us prettier!
Remember, sunscreen is your best friend when it comes to anti-aging and preventing the degradation of collagen in your skin. Eat a diverse diet and get plenty of exercise.
Basically it’s all that crap they’ve been telling us all these years.