The first step in any good skincare routine is cleansing. This may require some trial and error but without cleansing properly all your other skin care efforts will be compromised.
Some tips to get started:
- Use a cleanser suitable for your skin type.
- Remove any makeup every night to unclog pores and allow your skin to breathe.
- Massage in cleanser gently with fingertips for 2 minutes.
- Concentrate your time on problem areas like t-zone or large pores.
- Rinse, rinse and rinse some more. At least 20 splashes of warm water.
- Always use tepid water, not too hot, not too cold.
- Blot your face dry gently with a soft towel. No rubbing or pulling.
- The perfect time to moisturize is right after you cleanse.
- Follow up cleansing routine with an anti-aging serum or Anti-aging cream and then add a moisturizer if you need more moisture.
And a couple more things:
- Your results should leave your skin not too dry and not too greasy.
- If you have sensitive or problem skin you may want to consult a professional esthetician.
- Generally, if a process or product is creating an uncomfortable reaction cease immediately. If you have sensitive skin, always perform a patch test before proceeding.
- Use common sense and pay attention. It takes a while to get to know your skin.
One of the questions I get asked most is, “What is your routine?” Here’s how I cleanse and moisturize:
Sally’s cleansing routine:
- I cleanse 1-2 times a day. ALWAYS AT NIGHT.
- I have oily skin so at night I take off my makeup with gel cleanser and massage in for 2 minutes. (I don’t wear waterproof mascara so the gel cleanser works great to remove all my makeup. If you wear water proof then try the 3-in-1 Cream Cleanser to remove it.)
- Rinse 20 times in tepid water.
- In the morning I apply the 3-in-1 Lotion Jelly on thick as a masque first thing as I step into the shower.
- Rinse masque and use Detoxifying Toner.
- For extra maintenance on my pores I use the Blue Clay Masque once a week to keep pores tight.
- I exfoliate 3 times a week. (When I exfoliate it replaces the cleanser for that step but I follow the same routine.)
- I mostly finish with my Anti-aging Serum. If my skin is feeling dry I use the Anti-aging Eye Cream all over and if that’s not enough I finish with Renewal Face Moisturizer.
Your routine should be gentle but also effective. A properly cleansed face is ready to absorb and let your other products work for you.