Tips for a DIY home spa day to get your feet ready for their debut.
You’ve heard the expression “Agony of da feet?” Ok, I made that up, but we torture our poor feet everyday by cramming them into pointy shoes, letting them crack from pure neglect or just plain ignoring them. Give them the day off and take ’em to a spa day…at home.
Here’s what you’ll need to get flip flop ready:
- 3 Tablespoons of Epsom salts per gallon of water.
- Warm water about as hot as your skin will stand.
- Pumice stone and an emery board. Vitamin E oil or an intense balm.
- Add Epsom salts to warm water and soak until water cools or rough skin starts to soften 20-30 minutes.
Other items you can add to your foot soak:
- Tea bags (black or green)
- olive oil
- lemon juice
Now the details:
- After soaking, scrub the bottom of your feet with pumice until all dead skin is gone.
- Dry feet thoroughly and then shape and file toe nails with emery board.
- Slather with an intense balm, vitamin E oil or vaseline.
- Immediately slip into some socks and wear them all night.
- To maintain your makeover be sure to moisturize your feet several times a week.
The worst thing we can do to our feet is ignore them. We have more nerve endings and sweat glands in our feet than anywhere else in our bodies. Be kind to them and they will service you well.